Dental problems are quite common in children and are also one of the reasons that they tend to miss their school. But this problem can be prevented. Regular checkups can help prevent any serious threat in the future, ensuring good oral health.
Pediatric dentistry is a specialized dental specialty that primarily takes care of children’s dental needs.
Does dental care for children starts at home?
Dental care starts at home. The parents are advised to take good care of their children’s oral health, even before beginning a dental visit. The steps to be kept in mind are:
- The teeth of a toddler must be rinsed well with water or wiped with a damp cloth soon after feeding before they could fall asleep.
- If the milk residue is left in the mouth, then it can lead to problems of decay even at a very young age.
- It is better to introduce children to weaning instead of bottle feeding by their first birthday. This can help in avoiding decay and lessening the chances of jaw growth problems that are caused due to excessive sucking.
- As soon as the first tooth appears, they need to be brushed up. Use a soft-bristled brush and water, also consult a dentist before using toothpaste for them.
- Try not to feed children with sugary drinks or milk before going to bed. It’s advised to minimize beverages with sugar-content in their diet.
- Provide children with straws when they drink any sugary drinks; in that way, the teeth will have less contact with the drink.
What are the dental problems that we treat?
Dental problems in children that the dentist usually takes cares for are:
- Cavities that hit in early childhood
- Any periodontal disease
- Challenges faced during dental development.
- Any unidentified medical disorders
- If the injuries are Oro-facial traumatic
- Cleft palate, cleft lip, and some other craniofacial anomalies
- To treat and prevent oral habits that can significantly affect the proper growth of teeth, along with all special healthcare needs
Call us at (408) 988-7788 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Lee for a consultation at our office in Santa Clara, CA.