A crooked smile can negatively affect a person's confidence. Individuals with malocclusion often feel too conscious of their smile while interacting with others. Malocclusions could make it difficult to brush and floss teeth degrading your oral health. This leaves a lot of microbes on the teeth which could lead to the formation of cavities. All these and several other drawbacks make it essential to fix your crooked teeth at the earliest.
What’s the best solution?
Dentists offer a few treatment solutions to get rid of malocclusion and make sure that teeth are aligned perfectly. Out of all the available options, the most advanced and aesthetically pleasing one is Invisalign. Invisalign treatment consists of tray-like aligners made from transparent thermoplastic that is dental-grade. They move teeth by applying pressure on them in the required direction in a controlled manner. The best feature of Invisalign is that it is virtually invisible and aesthetically pleasing.
Step by step process of Invisalign treatment
- Research on the treatment or consult an orthodontist:Before you decide to go for Invisalign treatment, you should do some primary research and set up a consultation with a proficient, certified and licensed orthodontist, who is competent in this treatment. The orthodontist diagnoses the condition and conducts a few tests to determine the candidacy. Oral scans, photographs, and X-rays may be taken to map the position of teeth.
- Customized treatment plan:Once you have decided to go for Invisalign, the orthodontist will design a customized plan for treatment based on the positioning of your teeth. They would take 3D scans of your teeth and utilize it to predict teeth positioning at different stages of treatment. Not all teeth are moved at the same point in time.
- Clear and invisible braces are put on:The next step is to get your clear and invisible aligners that are prepared out of BPA-free plastic. Once you get your set of aligners, wear them every day for at least 22 hours. The most convenient reason to use them is that they are easy to remove. Hence, you can take them off while you are eating, brushing, and flossing.
- Get a new set of aligners every two weeks: Based on your treatment plan, your dentist will give you a new set of aligners every two weeks. During each stage of your treatment plan, the dentist will concentrate on moving a different set of teeth.
- Regular consultations:Your dentist will ask you to visit once every few weeks in order to evaluate and see how the treatment is progressing. If any changes are required, they will be made. It is also crucial for you to go for regular consultations once every six months after the treatment procedure to ensure that no problems crop up.
- Maintain Hygiene: It is vital to maintain proper oral hygiene during and after the treatment. This ensures a healthier oral cavity and reduces the chances of developing cavities.
Benefits of Invisalign treatment
- Comfortable & Convenient:Invisible aligners are easy to wear because they have clear edges and no wires or metal brackets that would bother your gums and cheeks. You can even remove them while eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing.
- Aesthetically pleasing:Invisible aligners are made from clear plastic. Hence, it is highly unlikely that anyone would find out that you are wearing orthodontic appliances.
- Effective:Invisible aligners are designed using advanced technology to ensure an exact fit for your teeth. They are known to treat several types of malocclusion with ease.
- Shorter treatment period: It takes roughly 6 to 12 months’ time to complete the Invisalign treatment successfully. The duration of treatment, however, would always vary for individual cases.
Call us at 408-988 7788 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Lee to have a consultation at our dental practice in Santa Clara, CA.