What are crowns?
Crowns help in restoring an already existing tooth by covering or capping it. They add a layer of protection to the damaged teeth. Crowns may be made of porcelain or ceramic. They are durable and lasting. They are placed on teeth after root canal surgery or can be used in covering the metallic part of dental implants.
When do you need crowns?
The crowns are used for:
- Strengthening a tooth with a large filling
- Protecting a weak tooth from leading to any further damage
- Replacing a tooth with severe decay
- Improving speaking and chewing ability
- Fixing the dental bridges
- Helping you smile replacing an unsightly tooth
How are the crowns placed?
It takes two visits to place a crown. The dentist uses local anesthesia to numb the area, and some enamel is removed to make space for the crown. The impression of your teeth would be taken. The impression is sent to a dental lab to create a customized dental crown. Until the customized crown is prepared, a temporary crown would be used in its place. It will keep the prepared tooth safe until the final restoration is ready.
During the next visit, the dentist removes your temporary crown, cleans your mouth, and prepares the tooth. The dentist then fits the permanent crown and checks if it is comfortable and up to your standards. Later, the permanent crown would be sealed in place using dental adhesives.
What are bridges?
Bridges act as a replacement remedy for a small group of missing teeth. Fixed dental restorations help in bridging the gaps left behind by the lost natural teeth.
What are the benefits of the bridges?
Dental bridges have many benefits, such as:
- Restoring your smile
- Improving the ability to chew and speak
- Maintaining the shape of your face
- Improving the patient's bite as the force will be distributed equally
- Preventing the surrounding teeth from drifting out of its position
Call us at (408) 988-7788 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Lee for a consultation at our office in Santa Clara, CA.