Bridge Those Gaps Between Teeth With a Dental Bridge
Posted by Rivermark Dental on Nov 6 2023, 02:03 AM
Are those pesky gaps between your teeth causing you to hide your smile? Don't worry; we've got the perfect solution for you - a dental bridge! This fantastic oral appliance is designed to bridge those gaps and restore not only your confidence but also the functionality of your teeth.
Types of Dental Bridges
When it comes to dental bridges, there are several different types available to suit individual needs and preferences. Let's take a closer look at some of the most common types:
- Traditional Dental Bridge: This is the most traditional and commonly used type of bridge. It consists of two crowns placed on either side of the gap, with an artificial tooth or teeth in between.
- Cantilever Dental Bridge: This type of bridge is used when there is only one adjacent tooth next to the gap. The pontic (artificial tooth) is supported by a single crown on one side.
- Maryland Bonded Dental Bridge: In this type, metal or porcelain wings are bonded onto adjacent teeth using resin or cement, providing support for the pontic.
- Implant-Supported Dental Bridge: Instead of relying on adjacent teeth for support, this type uses dental implants as anchors for the bridge. It offers excellent stability and prevents bone loss in the jaw.
- All-on-4 Dental Bridge: Ideal for patients missing multiple teeth or even an entire arch, this type uses four dental implants strategically placed to support a full set of replacement teeth.
Each type has its own advantages and considerations depending on factors such as oral health condition, budget, and personal preference. Consulting with our dentist will help determine which option is best suited for you.
The Process of Getting a Dental Bridge
The process of getting a dental bridge is a fairly simple and straightforward procedure that can greatly improve your smile. First, your dentist will examine your teeth and determine if you are a good candidate for a dental bridge. They may take X-rays or impressions to get an accurate picture of your teeth and gums.
Next, the abutment teeth, which are the two adjacent teeth on either side of the gap, will be prepared. This involves removing a small portion of enamel from these teeth to make room for the bridge. Once the abutment teeth have been prepared, impressions will be taken so that a custom-made bridge can be created specifically for your mouth. These impressions will be sent to a dental lab where skilled technicians will craft your new bridge.
In the meantime, you may be fitted with temporary crowns or bridges to protect your exposed abutment teeth while you wait for the permanent bridge. When your permanent bridge is ready, it will be carefully checked and adjusted by your dentist before being cemented in place. Your dentist will ensure that it fits properly and feels comfortable in your mouth.
Getting a dental bridge is a multi-step process that requires careful planning and precision. However, with proper care and maintenance, a dental bridge can restore both function and aesthetics to your smile!
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- Improved Appearance: One of the major benefits of dental bridges is their ability to enhance your smile by filling in gaps between teeth. The bridge is custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, resulting in a seamless and attractive appearance.
- Restored Functionality: Missing teeth can make it difficult to chew or speak properly. Dental bridges restore functionality by replacing missing teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without discomfort, and improving your overall speech clarity.
- Preservation of Jawbone Structure: When a tooth is lost, it can lead to bone loss in the jaw over time. By filling in the gap with a dental bridge, you help maintain proper bone density and prevent future complications like facial sagging or changes in bite alignment.
- Enhanced Confidence: Having missing teeth can often cause self-consciousness and impact one's confidence level when smiling or talking with others. Dental bridges provide a reliable solution that restores confidence by giving you back a complete set of teeth.
- Long-lasting Solution: With proper care and maintenance, dental bridges have the potential to last for many years, providing durable support for adjacent teeth while preventing further tooth decay or drifting from occurring.
- Expanded Chewing Ability: By replacing missing teeth with dental bridges, you regain full chewing ability, which allows for better digestion as well as increased enjoyment from eating various types of food.
- Cost-effective Option: In comparison to other restorative options such as implants or dentures, dental bridges offer an affordable solution for replacing missing teeth while delivering excellent aesthetic results.
Rivermark Dental at Santa Clara is happy to educate and provide exceptional dental treatments to the community. Please schedule an appointment online or call us at 408-988-7788 to have a consultation with our dentist in Santa Clara, and we will be happy to assist you further.